Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Aruba - a language of it's own, literally!

Hi! Arrived safe and sound. I checked in but didn't take the time actually go to my room 'til the end of the day. Bought some mineral spirits (which I've already spilled in the trunk) then just started checking the place out by driving in the opposite direction from the tourist area. After several miles and random turns I came by a home selling their art in the front yard - they make pieces from cut up tires and paint them. Christina and Victor are average-aged and have two teenagers. They are native born Arubans, and Christina had in her hand a little sketch of a house when I drove in. She says she'd wants to do art but has never learned from anything, and has never tried oil paints. She let me paint her but the sun only gave us about a half hour, so I took photos and focused on a the oil as a color guide. With a bit of sun left we sat together and I gave her a drawing lesson and Victor was our model. I'm invited back Saturday, Christina says come earlier next time so we have more sun.

They are simple in belongings, but the kids were kids, playing baseball in the area next door, and the kittens were as kittens are, although these kittens remind me that even our pets are supersized, and the view they have from their home of the sea and desert is for kings. I'm not joking.

Christina says she loves that every sunset is different. Victor doesn't speak much english but smiles and expressions between the two of us went a long way. She refused to take any money for her time, I gave her the sketch of Victor with lesson notations, and I will certainly be buying from their collection something that can fit in my suitcase, i think a tire trivet shaped like a fish. I only worry if I can find my way back there! The roads here are designed with cooked spaghetti as inspiration.

Thank goodness I chose Aruba first, american cash, english is understood enough to get kinda-answers, and it's a small island so 'lost' is relative. Their license plates slogan is "One Happy Island" so the odds are in my favor.

I don't plan on posting everyday, and in the end it's what can ARTWORK can I perform from this that matters,. I'm still trying to get my sensibilities in that regard, but today's fearless naivety worked in my favor.

1 comment:

  1. I understand not posting every day but I will look forward to each post. Not as much as I look forward to the paintings that you will produce. Like I said before GO GIRL!!!Oh yes and Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete